How Can I Maintain My Blonde Colour?
We know it can be a struggle to maintain your blonde tresses, having to prevent the always dreaded brassiness and dry ends. Blonde hair needs more care than darker shades and requires some specific maintenance. Follow these simple hair care rituals to keep those blonde locks extraordinarily shiny and soft.
- Use purple pigmented shampoo and conditioner. Purple is the opposite of yellow on the colour wheel and cools down golden and brass tones which may be more visible at the roots.
- Use a UV protection spray. UVA and UVB rays can damage the inner structure of the hair which results in a loss of hair proteins and pigment. Lighter hair has less melanin than darker hair so UV rays can penetrate the hair follicle more. Using a UV protection spray before going in the sun can reduce the damage of hair cells.
- Alternatively, if you’re planning on spending long periods of time in the sun wear a hat to protect hair and scalp from sun damage.
- Regular trims can also keep hair looking healthy. Frequent bleaching can damage the hair leaving it dry and causing more split ends which in turn cause more breakage. Getting a trim every 4 – 6 weeks will keep breakage at bay.
- Chlorine is notorious for turning blonde hair green. To minimise the impact of the chemical, wet hair with bottled water before entering the pool which prevents the hair follicle from absorbing the chlorine.
- Deep condition hair frequently to restore colour and moisture. We recommend using a deep conditioning treatment about once a week.